Quiz that contains NCLEX questions for thyroid storm. Thyroid storm is a complication of untreated or undiagnosed hyperthyroidism. As the nurse taking care of a patient with hyperthyroidism, it is important you know the typical signs and symptoms, causes, and treatments.
The NCLEX exam loves to ask questions about patient education, common side effects of medications, and major signs and symptoms the patient can exhibit with thyroid storm.
This quiz will test you on:
- Causes of thyroid storm
- Signs and symptoms of thyroid storm
- Medications used to treat thyroid storm
- Treatments for thyroid storm
Lecture on Thyroid Storm
Thyroid Storm NCLEX QuestionsThis NCLEX quiz will test your knowledge about thyroid storm which is also called thyrotoxic crisis.
(NOTE: When you hit submit, it will refresh this same page. Scroll down to see your results.)
Thyroid Storm Quiz
1. Which patient is most at risk for Thyroid Storm?
A. A 60 year old female who reports not taking Synthroid regularly.
B. A 45 year old male who has not been taking Tapazole as ordered and is experiencing diabetic ketoacidosis.
C. A 6 year old with an allergy to iodine.
D. A 25 year old female who is pregnant with her 4th child and is experiencing eczema.
2. A patient is admitted with thyroid storm. Which sign and symptoms are NOT present with this condition-SELECT ALL THAT APPLY?
A. Temperature of 104.9’F
B. Heart rate of 125 bpm
C. Respirations of 42
D. Heart rate of 20 bpm
E. Intolerance to cold
3. A physician orders a patient in thyroid storm to be started on Inderal. What in the patient’s health history causes the nurse to question the doctor’s order?
A. History of mental illness
B. History of asthma
C. History of tachycardia
D. History of cancer
4. A patient taking Tapazole reports feeling dizzy, intolerant to cold, and tired. On assessment, you note the patient’s heart rate is 45 and blood pressure is 70/30. What is the most likely cause?
A. Antithyroid toxicity
C. Thyroid storm
5. Which of the following foods below should a patient experiencing a thyroid storm avoid? Select all that apply:
C. Hard boiled eggs
D. Seaweed (Kelp)
6. Which of the following are not a treatment for Thyroid Storm?
A. Propylthiouracil (PTU)
7. Lugol’s solution helps block ________ of thyroid hormones in thyroid storm. Which of the following is a side effect of this medication?
A. the removal; tophi
B. excretion; swollen lymph nodes
C. release/synthesis; taste changes
D. movement; hypocalcemia
8. Which of the following medication orders should a nurse question if ordered on a patient with thyroid storm?
A. Propylthiouracil “PTU” for a 25 year old who is 8 weeks pregnant.
B. Aspirin as needed for a fever greater than 102.2 ‘F
C. Inderal for a patient who reports having insomnia
D. Tapazole for a 30 year old having complaints of headache
2. D, E
5. A, B, C, D
More NCLEX Endocrine Quizzes
Don’t forget to tell your friends about this quiz by sharing it your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. You can also take more fun nursing quizzes.
*Disclaimer: While we do our best to provide students with accurate and in-depth study quizzes, this quiz/test is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Please refer to the latest NCLEX review books for the latest updates in nursing. This quiz is copyright RegisteredNurseRn.com. Please do not copy this quiz directly; however, please feel free to share a link to this page with students, friends, and others.