Below is a practice test for adding and subtracting fractions, which is usually covered on the ATI TEAS* exam. I will cover how to add and subtract mixed fractions, improper fractions, and proper fractions (with unlike denominators). The ATI TEAS exam tests applicants on various subjects of math. Most students are nervous about taking the math section of the ATI exam (or HESI exam) because they are not good at math. However, the key to succeeding on the math section of the ATI TEAS exam is to practice the math problems over and over.
What type of math is on the ATI TEAS exam? The ATI TEAS math section test participants on adding and subtracting fractions, subtraction of whole numbers, ratios, metric conversation etc. Over the next weeks, RegisteredNurseRN.com will be developing free practice math quizzes and lectures to help you prepare for the ATI Teas V or HESI exam.
Quick Points to Remember:
First, you must convert any mixed fractions in the problem to improper fractions so that you can add or subtract them. If the denominators are the same, you can add and subtract the fractions (it doesn’t matter if they are proper, improper, or a combination of the two). If the denominators are different, you must find the least common denominator to proceed.
Here’s a simple mnemonic I created to add or subtract fractions: MILES.
- M=Mixed fractions. If there’s a mixed fraction, convert it to an…improper fraction (the I, below)
- I=Improper fraction. All mixed fractions must be converted to this. You can add improper fractions or proper fractions without problems.
- L=Least common denominator. Once all fractions are in their proper or improper form, you must have the same denominator to add or subtract them. If the denominators are different, you must find the least common denominator.
- E=Execute. Once you have the same denominators and no mixed fractions, you can execute (solve) the problem.
- S=Simplify. You want to simplify your answer so that it is as small as the fraction can be (a least common factor of one).
This practice quiz will test you ability to solve fractions.
ATI Math Practice Test | Adding and Subtracting FractionsThis ATI TEAS practice quiz will test your knowledge on adding and subtracting fractions.
(NOTE: When you hit submit, it will refresh this same page. Scroll down to see your results.)
ATI TEAS Math Practice Test for Fractions
- What is the sum of 2 ½ and 3 ¼?
- Simplify the expression: 6 2/3 – 1 5/8
- Compute the difference of 10 – 2 3/8
- Simplify the expression: 5/9 + 1/3 =
- What is the sum of 3 6/10 and 1 1/3?
- Simplify the expression: 2/3 + 1 14/15 =
- Compute the difference of 10 – 6 2/3 =
- Simplify the expression: 2/3 – 1/5 =
- What is the sum of 2 and 2 5/10?
- Simplify the expression 65 ½ + 3 25/40 =
1.) 5 ¾
2.) 5 1/24
3.) 7 5/8
5.) 4 14/15
6.) 2 3/5
7.) 3 1/3
9.) 4 ½
10.) 69 1/8
Don’t forget to tell your friends about this quiz by sharing it your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. You can also take more fun nursing quizzes.
*Disclaimer: While we do our best to provide students with accurate and in-depth study quizzes, this quiz/test is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Please refer to the latest Teas V review books for the official study review. TEAS and HESI is a registered trademark unaffiliated with our site. This quiz is copyright RegisteredNurseRn.com. Please do not copy this quiz directly onto other sites; however, please feel free to share a link to this page with students, friends, and others.