There are many qualities a certified nursing assistant (CNA) must possess in order to be great. Before I became a registered nurse, I was a nursing assistant. I have seen both the nursing assistant and registered nurse’s perspective. I wish when I was a nursing assistant I knew what I do now about what the nurse wants and needs from their nursing assistant.
Job Description of a Certified Nursing Assistant
The job of a nursing assistant requires a lot of standing on your feet, bending, lifting, squating, and walking. Most CNAs work 12 hours shifts and this takes a toll on your body. CNAs play a VERY vital part in my job as a nurse. I could not survive working the floor without them. The job of the nursing assistant includes but are not limited to:
- Collecting vital signs
- Providing baths to patients
- Turning patients who are unable to turn themselves
- Answering call lights
- Assisting patients with eating
- Ambulating patients
- Reporting any crucial data to the nurse (they are our eyes and ears)
- Keeping lab and nursing supplies stocked
- Assisting nurses with procedures
- A hard working nursing assistant is very important to the registered nurse. In order to be a good CNA, the person must have certain qualities. Not everyone is meant to be a nursing assistant and it takes patience and hard to work to be successful at it. Here are some basic qualities a person should possess in order to be a good nursing assistant.
Qualities on How to be a Good Nursing Assistant
- Has this overwhelming caring feeling towards sick people
- Feels satisfaction helping someone do something they can not do on their own
- Treats patients like how they would be like to be treated if they were sick
- Good at time management
- Does not mind cleaning up poop, pee, vomit, and blood
- Feels satisfaction after giving a patient a bath, shampoo, shave, and linen change
- A good team player
- Knows how to be empathic with patients and their families
- Does not consider it a job but a passion and has the drive to make their patient’s life better
- Has a positive and upbeat personality….sees the glass as half full
A nursing assistant who has the qualities above makes an excellent CNA. CNAs are sometimes not given enough credit on how much they do and this is disappointing. Nursing assistants play such an important role to the registered nurse and licensed practical nurse that without them nurses would not be able to concentrate on taking care of their patients and our nursing practice would suffer. The CNAs job allows a nurse to be a nurse.
So remember RNs and LPNs to always be good to your CNAs and they will be good to you! We are a team and without each other our patients would suffer.