This is a quiz that contains NCLEX review questions on iron-deficiency anemia. Patients who have iron-deficiency anemia have low levels of red blood cells and amounts of hemoglobin caused by low iron levels. The patient will experience low levels of oxygen throughout the body since red blood cells transport oxygen.
In the previous NCLEX review series, I explained about other disorders you may be asked about on the NCLEX exam, so be sure to check out those reviews and quizzes as well.
As the nurse, it is important to know how to care for a patient with iron-deficiency anemia. In addition, the nurse needs to be aware of the causes, risk factors, and management of iron-deficiency anemia.
The NCLEX exam loves to ask questions about patient education, major signs and symptoms, and the different types of iron-deficiency anemia.
This quiz will test you on:
- Pathophysiology of iron-deficiency anemia
- Signs and Symptoms of iron-deficiency anemia
- Nursing Interventions for iron-deficiency anemia
- Patient Education
Lecture Iron-Deficiency Anemia
Iron-Deficiency Anemia NCLEX QuestionsThis quiz will test your knowledge on iron-deficiency anemia in preparation for the NCLEX exam.
(NOTE: When you hit submit, it will refresh this same page. Scroll down to see your result)
Iron-Deficiency Anemia NCLEX Quiz
1. True or False: The least common type of anemia is iron-deficiency anemia.
2. Select all the patients who are at MOST risk for iron-deficiency anemia:
A. A 55 year old male who reports taking Ferrous Sulfate regularly.
B. A 25 year old female who was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease.
C. A 35 year old female who is 36 weeks pregnant that reports craving ice.
D. A 67 year old female with a Hemoglobin level of 14.
3. A patient with a history of gastric bypass surgery 6 months ago reports feeling very fatigued and is having food cravings for clay and dirt. On assessment, you note the patient has nail changes that look “spoon-shaped”. This spoon-shaped appearance of the nails is called?
A. Terry’s Nails
4. The physician orders a patient with suspected iron-deficiency anemia a blood smear test to assess the quality of the red blood cells. How would the red blood cells appear if the patient had iron- deficiency anemia?
A. Hyperchromic and macrocytic
B. Hypochromic and microcytic
C. Hyperchromic and macrocytic
D. Hypochromic and macrocytic
5. You’re providing education to a patient about how to take their prescribed iron supplement. Which statement by the patient requires you to re-educate the patient on how to take this supplement?
A. “I will take this medication on an empty stomach.”
B. “I will avoid taking this medication with orange juice.”
C. “I will wait and take my calcium supplements 2 hours after I take my iron supplement.”
D. “This medication can cause constipation. So, I will drink plenty of fluids and take a stool softer as needed.”
6. A patient is admitted with iron- deficiency anemia and has been receiving iron supplementation. The patient voices concern about how their stool is dark black. As the nurse you would?
A. Notify the doctor
B. Hold the next dose of iron
C. Reassure the patient this is a normal side effect of iron supplementation
D. None of the options are correct
7. You are providing diet teaching to a patient with low iron levels. Which foods would you encourage the patient to eat regularly?
A. herbal tea, apples, and watermelon
B. Sweet potatoes, artichokes, and packaged meat
C. Egg yolks, beef, and legumes
D. Chocolate, cornbread, and cabbage
8. True or False: The body uses hemoglobin to make iron.
9. True or False: High levels of iron lead to the body to producing fewer red blood cells.
10. True or False: Early signs and symptoms of iron-deficiency anemia are vague.
2. B, C
More NCLEX Quizzes
Don’t forget to tell your friends about this quiz by sharing it your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. You can also take more fun nursing quizzes.
*Disclaimer: While we do our best to provide students with accurate and in-depth study quizzes, this quiz/test is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Please refer to the latest NCLEX review books for the latest updates in nursing. This quiz is copyright RegisteredNurseRn.com. Please do not copy this quiz directly; however, please feel free to share a link to this page with students, friends, and others.