I am still trying to catch up on some older questions I never got to. Here is a great question about affording Nursing School College Programs:
I am REALLY interested in becoming a Registered Nurse RN. The only problem is, I am really not doing very well financially. I know that college or nursing school can be really expensive. I really can’t see how I can afford paying for school for the next 2-4 years. Can you offer any suggestions to help me finance nursing school? Thanks
Thanks so much for your question. First of all, Nursing School can definitely be expensive. Luckily, there are many great programs and opportunities in this day and age that will allow you to realize your dream of becoming a nurse. There are lots of ways you can help to pay for your education. So I would like to cover some methods you can use.
You can also watch this video presentation on how to save thousands on nursing school tuition:
How to Pay for Nursing School or Medical College: Ways to Finance Your Education
- Financial Aid–The government offers a free financial aid application to see if you qualify for state or federal funds. Most of the time, these are grants that do not need to be repaid. This is a great way to take get a nursing degree! You can often get enough financial aid to cover your full costs, or at least most of it. You can apply for free at fasfa.ed.gov.
- Nursing Scholarships–Most nursing colleges will offer scholarship packages for new students. There are often several different scholarships available for different people. Example: you may get a scholarship based on income, or grades, etc. So definitely check with your local college’s scholarship or nursing department to find out if you can obtain any scholarship assistance.
- Employee Tuition Reimbursement–Many employers (such as hospitals and organizations) will offer a tuition reimbursement program. My job offers this, and many others do as well. In this situation, if you work for a company or organization, they will often pay for your schooling as long as you agree to continue working for them. It benefits them to have your expertise, and it benefits you because you can move up the career ladder. So, for example, let’s assume you want to be a nurse. You could always go and work part-time at a hospital or place that offers tuition reimbursement (as a CNA or Entry Level Worker), and then they will help cover the cost of your tuition for nursing school. This can be a great way to not only cover your schooling costs, but also build a relationship with your employer.
- Student Loan Programs–The other 3 options above would be best, as you don’t have to pay back the funds. But if you can’t get any of those (or need a little extra help), you can always apply for School loans. Student loans are available at almost any major college or university. You can contact your local college or university for more information regarding student loans. Just remember that you must pay them back once you graduate, and often have to pay interest charges. So be careful. =)
- Credit Cards— Credit cards are one more way you can help cover the costs of tuition. Credit cards are not the best option, but they are one possible option. Even if you don’t use a credit card to pay for tuition, you can use them for other things such as buying textbooks online. In any event, just be sure to use credit cards responsibly, and only spend what you have to (and pay it off as soon as possible).
Conclusion: There are Many Ways to Pay for Nursing School, Don’t Give Up
I had to make a lot of financial sacrifices while I was a student, but it was definitely worth the effort. I am so glad that I pursued my dream of becoming a Registered Nurse. It may be hard to stay focused and afford the rising tuition costs, but just know that there are programs and ways to help you realize your dreams of becoming a nurse.
Thinking about going to Nursing School?
Are you contemplating going to nursing school, or are you actually in nursing school right now? Nursing school can be challenging, especially if you do not know what to expect. Here is a great guide by S. L. Page BSN, RN called “How to Pass Nursing School“. This book gives you detailed information about how to pass nursing school from beginning to end. S.L. Page, the creator of this website, complied all the information students what to know about nursing school into one easy to read guide. She gives in depth information on how to succeed in nursing school.
S.L. Page graduated from nursing school with honors and passed the NCLEX-RN on her first try. In this ebook, she reveals the strategies she used to help her succeed.
Here is what the book looks like: