Are you feeling depressed? Depression is a term commonly applied to feelings of sadness, worthlessness, and/or anxious. Many people have experienced symptoms of a minor depression, and this condition has been experienced by people for thousands of years. Working as a nurse can certainly make you feel depressed sometimes, as can all occupations.
There are different kinds of depression. These range from general feelings of sadness (sometimes called minor depression), to a severe clinical depression.
If you have a very light sense of depression, then it can usually be cured or will pass without any type of medication. This is sometimes referred to as feeling “blue” or “down.” However, if you feel very bad, have thoughts of suicide, or are unable to function, you should seek a qualified medical professional because you could have a serious clinical depression.
What Are Some Symptoms of Depression?
Depression can make a person feel several different feelings. These can range from sad and worthless, to very tired and unmotivated.
The list below has some common symptoms people that are suffering from depression might experience:
Thoughts of Sadness and hopelessness
Feelings of worthlessness
Thoughts or ideas of suicide
Feeling unmotivated, or that life is pointless
Loss of appetite
Loss of function
Losing interest in things that you once enjoyed
Negative thinking & feelings
Irritability or anger
Physical aches & pains
Lack of concentration or inability to make decisions
Why Do People Get Depressed?
People can become depressed for several reasons. It could be a genetic factor, chemical imbalance, loss of a loved one, marital problems, career problems, health problems, and more.
If you feel you have a bad case of depression, cannot function normally, or have thoughts of death or suicide then you should consult a physician.
Some cases of severe depression can be helped with medication under the supervision of a qualified medical professional.
Doctors sometimes prescribe things such as antidepressants, or other medication to help combat any chemical imbalances.
How to Cure or Get Over Your Minor Feelings of Depression
If you are feeling a little “blue,” then here are a few tips to help you snap out of your depressed feelings & get going again.
1. Try to identify the source of your sad feelings. Is it because of a lost loved one, are you unhappy with your appearance, is your business? If you can identify a source, then try changing the thing that is making you sad (if possible). For example, if you are depressed because you have gained weight, start an exercise program.
2. Do something for yourself that makes you happy. Go buy your favorite meal, buy yourself a little something, or go spend some time with loved ones.
3. Help someone. This is a simple but effective way to make yourself feel better. If you help someone achieve a goal or dream, then it will almost always help you to achieve yours. It also works wonders to make you feel better about yourself (and life). Zig Ziglar once said “You can have anything you want in life, as long as you help enough other people get what they want.”
4. Try something new. If you are down because life seems to boring or average, then it may be time for a new adventure. Maybe you should try to meet new people, try a new career, find a hobby, start a website. By trying new things it can bring back that rush of adrenaline or excitement.
5. Tell someone you love about your problems. By expressing your feelings, it can make you feel much better. Maybe you failed at something, or maybe you feel like a loser. Talk to someone positive that you care about. If you don’t have anyone to talk to, then you can start a diary, journal, or website blog to talk about your feelings.
Feeling depressed is not fun for anyone. If you are feeling down, then be strong and remember that there will be better days.
Sometimes life can seem worthless. We ask ourselves “what is the point? Why is life so hard.” But just remember that life is many times like a roller coaster. You will have your days where you feel like you are on top of the world, and you will have days where you feel worthless. You will have days where everything runs smoothly, and you will have days where everything goes wrong.
This happens to everyone. Always remember that these “down” moments in life will teach us things. Evil helps us to appreciate good, failures help us to enjoy success, out of weakness we find strength, out of despair we find hope, out of sadness we find true happiness, out of hate we find true love.
Many of the worlds greatest successes, leaders, and warriors experienced temporary bouts of depression or sadness.
These things we experience in life make us stronger. They build character, knowledge, and experience. Life can be a great teacher.
No matter how bad things seem, always hold on. You never know where you will be in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc. Today may seem like nothing will ever get better, but in 10 years you may be the happiest you have ever been in your entire life.
Never give up…NEVER! There is always tomorrow. There is always another great opportunity around the corner. Life is a precious thing. Yesterday was the past, tomorrow is the future, and today is a GIFT…That is why it is called the PRESENT! Never forget that. Keep pushing, keep trying, keep loving, keep praying.