If you are an aspiring entrepreneur, then there are several great books that are a must-read. I frequently read books on business, and especially biographies & autobiographies of great entrepreneurs.
Below I have listed a few of my favorite business books. I think these books are great for anyone in business & you can learn something from every single book listed. As an entrepreneur, it can be extremely helpful to read books by other entrepreneurs. You can get some golden lessons sometimes, and it is almost like attending a conference or having a conversation each time you read a book that a former entrepreneur has taken the time to write.
I am particularly interested in books that include detailed information about how a person got the idea for a business, and then was able to transform that idea into a profitable and functional company.
Most of these books are available at the public library for free- so not only can you gain some entrepreneurial wisdom, but you can leave your money at home =)!
List of Great Business/Entrepreneur Books
1. Napoleon Hill- Think & Grow Rich! This is an absolute classic. It shows the power of thinking & helps you stay motivated. Andrew Carnegie set Mr. Hill up to writing this books so that a “success formula” could be found.
2. Titan-the Life of John D. Rockefeller! This is a very interesting book about one of the richest men who has ever lived. I learned a lot from this book. John D. was also a devout Christian who tithed 10% of all of his massive earnings (and then some).
3. Made in America- Sam Walton’s book about his amazing story & how he built Wal-mart into a giant.
4. The Art of War- This is a classic book that is given to many CEOs & business leaders. It contains war strategies, but these strategies also can be applied to business (after all, business is war usually).
5. Rich Dad, Poor Dad- Another great classic. Richard Kiyosaki gives a story of a rich dad’s advice as compared to his poor dad’s advice/habits. His poor dad is his biological father, who although is middle class never builds wealth. His rich dad is his friend’s father, who was a high school dropout, yet builds a business empire.
6. See You At the Top by Zig Ziglar- This is a great guide to improving your management/selling techniques & having a positive attitude.
7.The Millionaire Next Door–This book is great because it teaches some basic (and surprising) facts about most millionaires.
8. The E-Myth Revisited–This is a great book because it teaches the difference between working ON your business, and working IN your business. Many new entrepreneurs make the mistake of working as a technician IN the business, when they really need to be focusing on a strategy to get to the point where they can exclusively work on the business.
These are all great books. I think you can really learn something from any/all of them. Some you will learn the importance of positive attitude & thinking. Some will teach you great business lessons. Some contain vital information about the role of an entrepreneur. Some just contain some good analytical lessons.
If you haven’t read any of the books on this list, I would highly recommend them.