This practice quiz will test your knowledge on the 24-hour clock vs. the 12-hour clock.
Most nurses use the 24-hour clock (military time) when documenting rather than the 12-hour AM and PM clock. The reason for this is to prevent confusion and potentially errors from occurring.
24-Hour Clock Practice Nursing Quiz (Military Time)
(NOTE: When you hit submit, it will refresh this same page. Scroll down to see your results.)
24-Hour Clock Nursing Practice Quiz (Military Time)
1. The nurse starts IV fluids at 1730. What is the time when using the AM and PM clock?
A. 7:30 PM
B. 5:30 AM
C. 7:30 AM
D. 5:30 PM
Answer: 5:30 PM
2. The nurse helps the patient ambulate up and down the hallway at 11:30 AM. How will the nurse chart the ambulation time using the 24-hour clock?
3. A patient was admitted to your unit at 0045. What time did the patient arrive to your unit when referring to the AM and PM clock?
A. 12:45 AM
B. 1:45 AM
C. 12:45 PM
D. 1:45 PM
Answer: 12:45 AM
4. At 18 minutes after midnight the nurse starts the 2nd unit of PRBCs (packed red blood cells) on a patient needing a total of 3 units. What time will the nurse document that the 2nd unit of PRBCs was started (using the 24-hour clock)?
5. The nurse administers a sleep medication to a patient with insomnia at 10:00 PM. What time did the nurse administer the medication using the 24-hour clock?
6. A patient can have pain medication every 4 hours as needed for pain. The patient requests a dose of pain medication. The nurse assesses the MAR and finds that the patient’s last dose was at 1200. When can the patient have another dose of pain medication?
7. A patient is being transported to ultrasound for testing. The transporter takes the patient to ultrasound at 1:39 PM. The nurse documents the patient left the room at what time (using the 24-hour clock)?
8. A patient’s blood pressure is 190/114. The nurse assesses the patient’s MAR and notes that the last dose of blood pressure medication was given at 1950. What is the time using the AM and PM clock?
A. 8:50 PM
B. 7:50 PM
C. 9:50 PM
D. 10:50 PM
Answer: 7:50 PM
9. The nurse performs endotracheal suctioning on a patient at 11:15 PM. The nurse will document the time as (using the 24-hour clock)?
10. A nurse from a previous shift entered a nursing note in the patient’s record at 1749. What time was this note entered using the AM and PM clock?
A. 3:49 AM
B. 5:49 PM
C. 7:49 AM
D. 7:49 PM
Answer: 5:49 PM
Don’t forget to tell your friends about this quiz by sharing it your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. You can also take more fun nursing quizzes.
*Disclaimer: While we do our best to provide students with accurate and in-depth study quizzes, this quiz/test is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Please refer to the latest NCLEX review books for the latest updates in nursing. This quiz is copyright RegisteredNurseRn.com. Please do not copy this quiz directly; however, please feel free to share a link to this page with students, friends, and others.