Reproductive system quiz on the woman’s menstrual cycle for the NCLEX exam. In your maternity class and on the NCLEX exam you will need to know about the woman’s menstrual cycle.
It is important to know what days each phase occurs, the role of the hormones (such as FSH, LH, estrogen, and progestrone), and what happens during each phase of the reproductive cycle
Don’t forget to check out our other NCLEX review quizzes for maternity.
Menstrual Cycle NCLEX QuizThis reproductive system quiz will test your knowledge on the woman's menstrual cycle in preparation for the NCLEX exam.
(NOTE: When you hit submit, it will refresh this same page. Scroll down to see your results.)
Lecture on Menstrual Cycle
Menstrual Cycle NCLEX Review Questions
1. The _________ is responsible for secreting gonadotropin-releasing hormone.
C. Anterior pituitary gland
D. Posterior pituitary gland
2. During which cycle day of a typical 28 day menstrual cycle does the follicular phase occur?
A. Cycle days 7-14
B. Cycle days 14-28
C. Cycle days 1-6
D. Cycle days 1-13
3. As the graafian follicle matures, a massive amount of estrogen is released by the follicle which causes a luteinizing hormone surge. Approximately, what cycle day does the LH surge occur?
A. Cycle day 11-13
B. Cycle Day 14
C. Cycle day 5-8
D. Cycle day 1-6
4. Select all the functions of the luteinizing hormone:
A. Forming the corpus luteum
B. Thickening the endometrium layer for implantation
C. Breaking down the wall of the graffian follicle to allow for release of the ovum
D. Thinning cervical mucous
5. During which stage of the menstrual cycle does the endometrium layer thicken?
A. Secretory Phase
B. Luteal Phase
C. Ovulation Phase
D. Proliferative Phase
6. What cycle day does the proliferative stage occur?
A. Cycle day 7-14
B. Cycle day 14-28
C. Cycle day 1-6
D. Cycle day 1-14
7. Which statement is TRUE about the ovulation phase?
A. The newly released egg will live for 72 hours and disintegrate if not fertilized.
B. The woman will have a low basal body temperature before ovulation and then a temperature increase of 0.4-1’F degrees around ovulation.
C. The ovum is directly released into the fallopian tube.
D. Fertilization most commonly occurs at the fimbria.
8. If the ovum is to be fertilized, where is the most common site of fertilization?
A. Uterine wall
C. Ampulla of the Fallopian Tube
D. Isthmus of the Fallopian Tube
9. In what stage does the corpus luteum form?
A. Luteal Phase
B. Follicular Phase
C. Proliferative Phase
D. None of the above
10. What cycle day does the luteal phase occur?
A. Cycle days 15-28
B. Cycle days 5-13
C. Cycle day 14
D. Cycle days 7-14
11. The corpus luteum secretes (select-all-that-apply)?
12. During the menstrual phase the _________ layer of the endometrium is shed.
A. Stratum basalis
B. Stratum functionalis
C. Stratum compactum
13. A patient is trying to prevent pregnancy by using the rhythm method. At what time during a woman’s cycle is she the most fertile?
A. Cycle days 21-28
B. Cycle days 1-6
C. Cycle days 9-16
D. Cycle days 6-9
14. ___________ is released from the anterior pituitary gland and stimulates the follicles in the ovary to mature.
B. Follicle-stimulating hormone
D. Human chorionic gonadotropin
15. If pregnancy does not occur, the corpus luteum will disintegrate and turn into what is called the?
A. Corpus Albicans
B. Corpus Callosum
C. Corpus Cavernosum
D. Corpus Allatum
16. Select all the following that is NOT a function of progesterone and estrogen:
A. Inhibits the production of LH and FSH
B. Causes the hypothalamus to release gonadotropin releasing hormone
C. Maintains the endometrium for pregnancy
D. Causes the follicle to mature into a graafian follicle
17. True or False: One of the many functions of progesterone is to maintain the endometrium for the fertilized ovum.
18. If fertilization occurs the corpus luteum will act as a temporary endocrine structure to release hormones. It will do this until the placenta is fully developed to take over with hormone secretion and this occurs at approximately?
A. 4 weeks gestation
B. 8 weeks gestation
C. 20 weeks gestation
D. 2 weeks gestation
4. A, C
11. A, B
16. B, D
More NCLEX Quizzes
Don’t forget to tell your friends about this quiz by sharing it your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. You can also take more fun nursing quizzes.
*Disclaimer: While we do our best to provide students with accurate and in-depth study quizzes, this quiz/test is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Please refer to the latest NCLEX review books for the latest updates in nursing. This quiz is copyright RegisteredNurseRn.com. Please do not copy this quiz directly; however, please feel free to share a link to this page with students, friends, and others.