This quiz on IV infusion times will test your ability to solve dosage and calculation problems that require you to determine the time an IV infusion will be complete.
These IV infusion time problems were designed to help you better understand how to apply basic conversions to advanced drug problems. In nursing school, you will be required to learn how to solve these types of problems, along with other drug and dosage calculations.
IV Infusion Time Tutorial
Note: After you click the submit button, the page will refresh and you will have to scroll down to see your results and what answers you got right/wrong.
IV Infusion Time Practice Problems
1. The doctor orders 1000 mL bag of IV Normal Saline to infuse at a rate of 50 mL/hr. How long will it take for the IV bag to completely infuse?
2. The doctor orders a 500 mL bag of IV Normal Saline to infused at 20 gtt/min. The drip factor is 10 gtt/mL. You start the IV infusion at 0500. At what time will the infusion be complete?
3. The doctor orders 1 L of 0.45% Normal Saline to infuse at 200 mL/hr. You start the infusion at 0800. When will the infusion be complete?
4. The doctor orders a Heparin infusion to be started at 18 units/kg/hour. The patient weighs 130 lbs. You’re supplied with a 500 mL bag of Heparin that reads 25,000 units/500mL. You start the infusion at 0200 on 11/11. At what time will the infusion be complete?
5. The doctor orders a Dobutamine infusion to be started at 10 mcg/kg/min. The patient weighs 180 lbs. You’re supplied with a 250 mL bag of Dobutamine that reads 2 mg/mL. How long will it take for the Dobutamine infusion to complete?
6. The doctor orders 2 L of 0.45% Normal Saline to infuse at 150 mL/hr. How long will it take for the infusion to complete?
7. The doctor orders 1 L of LR to infuse at 75 gtt/min. The drip factor is 15 gtt/mL. How long will it take for the infusion to complete?
1. 20 hours
4. 0128 on 11/12
5. 10 hrs 25 minutes
6. 13 hrs 20 minutes
7. 3 hrs 20 minutes
Don’t forget to tell your friends about this quiz by sharing it your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. You can also take more fun nursing quizzes.
*Disclaimer: While we do our best to provide students with accurate and in-depth study quizzes, this quiz/test is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Please refer to the latest NCLEX review books for the latest updates in nursing. This quiz is copyright RegisteredNurseRn.com. Please do not copy this quiz directly; however, please feel free to share a link to this page with a friend.