This is a quiz that will test your knowledge on the differences between chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Patients who have chronic bronchitis and emphysema are experiencing limited airflow due to obstructive pulmonary disease. Chronic bronchitis and emphysema limit gas exchange which can lead to serious complications that affect the rest of body, such as the heart.
In the previous NCLEX review series, I explained about other respiratory disorders, so be sure to check those reviews out.
As the nurse, it is important to know how to care for a patient with chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
The NCLEX exam loves to ask questions about pathophysiology and major signs and symptoms of chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
This quiz will test you on:
- Patho of chronic bronchitis vs emphysema
- Signs and Symptoms chronic bronchitis vs emphysema
Chronic Bronchitis vs Emphysema QuizThis quiz will test your knowledge on the differences between chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
(NOTE: When you hit submit, it will refresh this same page. Scroll down to see your results.)
Chronic Bronchitis vs Emphysema Quiz
1. Select ALL the options that are TRUE about chronic bronchitis and emphysema:
A. Patients with chronic bronchitis have the ability to fully exhale but have limited airflow.
B. Emphysema and chronic bronchitis are irreversible.
C. An incentive spirometer is used to diagnose both chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
D. Patients with chronic bronchitis are sometimes referred to as “blue bloaters, while patients with emphysema are sometimes referred to as “pink puffers”.
2. True or False: Patients with emphysema experience hypoventilation as a compensatory mechanism to help increase oxygen levels and decrease carbon dioxide levels in the body.
3. Which of the following is most commonly found in a patient with emphysema?
A. Barrel chest
C. V/Q mismatch
D. Excessive productive cough
4. In which of the following conditions below is there a matched V/Q defect?
A. Chronic Bronchitis
5. True or False: V/Q mismatch is found in chronic bronchitis.
6. Which of the following is NOT a treatment for chronic bronchitis or emphysema?
7. In which of the following conditions below do the alveolar sacs lose elasticity which can lead to “air-trapping”:
A. Chronic Bronchitis
8. Patients with chronic bronchitis and emphysema can MOST COMMONLY experience what type of acid-base imbalance?
A. High oxygen level and high carbon dioxide level
B. Low oxygen level and low carbon dioxide level
C. High oxygen level and low carbon dioxide level
D. Low oxygen level and high carbon dioxide level
9. Which of the following is NOT a sign and symptom of chronic bronchitis?
A. Productive cough
D. Barrel chest
10. True or False: Hyperinflation of the lungs leads to diaphragm flattening.
1. B, D
More NCLEX Quizzes
Don’t forget to tell your friends about this quiz by sharing it your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. You can also take more fun nursing quizzes.
*Disclaimer: While we do our best to provide students with accurate and in-depth study quizzes, this quiz/test is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Please refer to the latest NCLEX review books for the latest updates in nursing. This quiz is copyright RegisteredNurseRn.com. Please do not copy this quiz directly; however, please feel free to share a link to this page with students, friends, and others.