I used to be a HUGE fan of the TV series Smallville. It is the story of Superman growing up in his small town, and developing his powers and trying to fit into the world, and utimately, his destiny. The show started out amazing, but unfortunately, started to really go downhill in the last few seasons. In fact, I was such a huge fan of the show that I would watch every episode and knew so much about this show and its characters (and actors). But the show got so bad in the last 1-3 seasons, I stopped watching it completely. I never watched the finale, and didn’t watch most of the last season.
This page contains some archived comments I had made about the show and a few episodes. As a warning, this page may contain spoilers on certain episodes or events. You will notice how my love for this show slowly turned into dislike as you read below.
So far season 8 has been awesome, and it is possible that this could be the very last season. Tom Welling is one of my favorite “superman” actors. He just comes across as very believable as a “nice guy” type attitude that I would image the real Clark Kent/Superman would have.
Anyways, they are heading in the right direction so far with this season. I can hardly wait until the next episode comes on this Thursday! I wonder when Clark is finally going to learn how to fly? Also, will he put on a suit? And how did he come up with the design?
Smallville Season 8 Episode Identity Was Awesome
Last night’s episode “Identity” was yet again awesome. I do not want to give any spoilers away for those who may have not yet seen it, but it was great, and possibly one of the best so far.
I can’t help but feel that Clark is getting closer and closer to finally becoming Superman. The writer’s have done an excellent job so far with the storyline. I can’t wait to see how he get’s his suit (surely they won’t leave us hanging!). I also can’t wait to see him embrace his flying abilities (we have now seen a few super-leaps, but no flying). Plus you can definitely feel more chemistry between Lois and Clark.
Clark does still seem as if he is against the idea of having an “alter ego,” however, it seems as if he is starting to realize his true destiny of saving lives and giving hope to millions of people–so hopefully he will soon whip out the cape and tights.
I still wonder about Lex, but I believe he may be trapped in either the Phantom zone or the fortress of solitude (which is back to its crystal form). Plus what is up with Tess Mercer? Is she evil, and why did she turn so evil after her fling with the Green Arrow (Oliver Queen). And is Chloe going to die now that Brainiac has invaded her mind? Or will she be able to recover? I am wondering if she might just die since we never really hear about her in the comics or Superman movies.
The funny thing is, I have never really been a big fan of any TV series. Yet I got into this Smallville show and so far I have not missed 1 single episode. My wife and I love it. I can’t wait until next week’s episode. It looks like Clark is going to take a trip back to the phantom zone to save Kara (his supergirl cousin). I have always been a Superman fan, but this show is more than Superman. It is a story of channeling your abilities to help a greater good. It is about finding out what you are capable of doing in life, and making a decision about how to use it.
When Will Clark Kent Fly in Smallville
So far…Clark Kent (aka Tom Welling) has yet to learn how to fly! Not only that, as the season goes along I am getting more and more worried about the whole “no flights, no tights” rule that the CW apparently made at the beginning.
When Will Clark Kent (Tom Welling) Learn to Fly?
Okay, so for a few episodes Clark has flown. We have that episode where he wasn’t really Clark (he was Kal-el), and he flew into the plan and got the crystal. We also have that episode where he was dreaming and woke up hovering above his bed.
And to tease us even more, they have even shown a few “super leaps” in there which look like he flies, but not really. I even thought he flew for a minute, but was like, “oh no, wait, that was only a jump.”
So will he actually fly this season? Well, I suspect he will at least fly. I read that during this past summer (after the 7th season), someone was asked if he will fly. And the response was that “there will be no tights, but I can’t say anything about the no flight rule.” This makes me think that he will for sure be flying. There was also some statement made that went something like, “Clark will soon realize that running around in a crowded city is too hard, especially when he is trying to hide his identity.” So this seems to hint that flight will be necessary, and Clark will finally realize it and start flying more.
Will Clark Kent (Tom Welling) Put on the Superman Suit in This 8th Season?
I sure hope so! Man, I really hope they give us a great storyline on how Clark comes up with the idea and design for the Superman suit. People already think he wears a cape after the “identity” episode where Oliver Queen dressed up like Clark. So maybe that is why he wears the cape?? I have never seen a storyline of how he actually gets the suit, so I would personally love to see how it happens.
Anyways, I really hope they are not stubborn about this “No tights” rule. The fans want tights. I know the show is about Clark Kent, and not Superman. But it is about Clark Kent becoming Superman, and this show has been so great, it would truly be a tragedy if we didn’t see the last fulfillment of this journey. I know it seems that Tom Welling is a little shy about wanting to slap on the tights, but come on dude! You are now Clark Kent in the minds of millions. You have an awesome job. Suck it up and slap on the tights. Use a body double if you have to. But just give us the tights CW!
In my opinion, the last steps to become Superman are: Learn to fly, Get the Suit, and Train in the Fortress of Solitude. Then Bam, we have our Superman!
I can’t wait to see how the rest of this season unfolds!
Smallville Season 8 Finale: Doomsday is Over
Smallville’s last episode just aired on May 14, 2009. The title of the episode is “Doomsday,” and it is the Season 8 Finale Episode.
The episode was awesome, and had a lot of “big” things happen. I will try to summarize the main parts of the episode, and then provide some of my thoughts on it.
What Happened In Smallville’s Season 8 Finale?
First of all, I though the episode went better than the past few episodes. I kept having this feeling like the cast was just way out of character. Clark Kent, Chloe Sullivan, and even Jimmy Olsen were all acting a bit odd for the past few episodes. Thankfully, they came back to themselves by the end of this one, and I felt a little better about everything.
The episode basically starts with Clark Kent talking to one of those guys from the future Justice League. He came back & gave Clark another ring to travel back into the future. He also told Clark some startling news that he was going to die if he didn’t do something.
It then goes on to show Clark gathering the Black Canary and Flash to help him destroy Doomsday. He tells Green Arrow to leave after soon after he joins them, as Clark is still bitter over him killing Lex Luthor. Clark even goes so far as to say that Green Arrow “Isn’t one of them.” I was surprised by that comment.
They set out to find Doomsday. While they all arrive, Green Arrow shoots Clark with a Kryptonite filled arrow so that he & the others can kill Doomsday once and for all (as opposed to trying to split Doomsday & save Davis).
During all of this, Lois struggles with Tess Mercer over the missing “alien orb.” They have a long struggle, and Lois finds Clark’s “Future Ring.” She places it on her finger and disappears (presumably into the future). That is the last time Lois appears in the episode. It will be interesting to see what happened to her.
Meanwhile, Green Arrow & the others have Davis tied up, and are about to destroy him when he suddenly awakens. Chloe uses Clark’s black kryptonite to separate them. Davis then passes out, and Doomsday escapes.
Jimmy removes the arrow from Clark’s back, and Clark admits to being the “red-blue blur.” Jimmy is really surprised, and happy. Clark then whizzes off to meet with Doomsday, but he has already escaped & is terrorizing the city.
Clark then finds him & they have a brief struggle. Clark then grabs him & whizzes him off into the nuclear chamber to destroy him. I am actually still a little confused on that part, because it appears that Clark actually flies for the first time. However, it could have been another “super-leap.” So I am not sure how they classify that. My wife thinks it was just a super-leap (she too is a Smallville fanatic).
Then it goes back to Chloe & Jimmy. Jimmy had purchased Chloe a huge Cathedral-like building for her wedding gift. They make-up and have a very touching moment. It really feels as if they have finally made up, and all is well. But then…you know what is coming….2 of the main characters are going to die.
Who Dies in Smallville’s Season 8 Finale Episode?
I had made a guess, and got only 1 correct. While Jimmy & Chloe are embracing each other, we hear a very faint “sheeeeww” sound. Then Jimmy is bleeding. Davis had awakened during Chloe & Jimmy’s reunion & didn’t like what he heard them saying. He kills Jimmy by shoving a huge pipe through his guts. I kinda liked that Jimmy guy too!
He then turns on Chloe with an evil look in his eyes. It is obvious he is going to kill Chloe. But then, Jimmy runs & shoves Davis onto a sharp pipe, and Davis dies. Is is also assumed that Doomsday died, however, considering his amazing ability to keep regenerating, I wouldn’t hold my breath.
At Jimmy’s funeral, Chloe hands Jimmy’s old camera to his little brother (who happened to be wearing a bow-tie). They make it seem as if he may be the new “Jimmy” that will photograph Superman. I was actually hoping that maybe Lois would be coming back & perhaps save Jimmy or something, but the whole camera thing made me scratch that idea.
Clark gets upset & storms out. He feels as if Jimmy’s death is his fault, and he is partially right. Clark had actually been getting on my nerves lately with the whole, “We can’t kill Davis, even though he is killing everyone else” thing. I mean, come on! It was getting lame even for Clark! When someone is a bloodthirsty killer you have to stop them. Period. Even if it means death.
But finally Clark admitted he was wrong, and Green Arrow was right. He stormed out and said, “Clark Kent is dead.” He now has a mission to not let his “human emotions” control him so much. Apparently he wants to be more like “Kal-El” than he does “Clark Kent.”
The final seen shows the “Alien Orb” at Lex’s mansion. Tess runs out & looks outside, and behold, Lord Zod is apparently making a comeback. So it seems the season 9 premier will be an explosive action-packed episode.
Final Thoughts on Smallville Season 8, and Hopes for Season 9
Overall, it was a great season. It had some great episodes in there, and I enjoyed the Season Finale. I am glad Clark will soon be getting over his, “Savior Complex.” Not that he isn’t supposed to be good, it is just that eventually you must stop evil before it destroys more lives. He was acting really bizarre about that, and it was starting to frustrate me a bit.
In terms of other seasons, I think other season finales have been better in the past. My favorite one was probably the one with the Kawatche caves & the crystals. It was an awesome season, and it ended with the crystal being formed, and Clark was standing in the middle of the Arctic. He then threw the crystal, and it formed the Fortress. I enjoyed that finale best of all I think. But this was really awesome too.
As for Season 9, I can’t wait until it comes back on. I assume he will be battling Zod once more. Here are a few things I REALLY want to see in the 9th (and presumably final season of Smallville):
- Clark finally flies (for sure).
- Clark wears the glasses at work
- Chemistry between Lois & Clark
- Lois interviews Clark (as Superman)
- An episode about how he invents the suit
- Training in the Fortress of Solitude
- Wearing the suit at one of the final episodes (or the final episode)
- Changing in phone booths
- Return of Lex Luthor (if he comes back)
- Seeing him act as Superman in the suit (if only for a short couple of minutes)
- Having the BEST season finale of all time. They need to end this show with a big bang! It has been an awesome show, with great story lines, special effects, and a great cast.
Smallville has been one heck of a show, and I haven’t missed 1 single episode! I love it! Personally, I wouldn’t mind if they renewed Smallville for 10th season & featured Clark as Superman the whole time.
Smallville Entering its Final Season 9 Appearance
It is September, and that means Smallville for me! Smallville is one of my absolute favorite TV series of all time. It focuses on Clark Kent’s journey on becoming Superman.
When is Smallville Season 9 Starting? What Will the Season Be Like?
Season nine of Smallville is set to kick off on September 25th. I am super excited, and this is likely the absolute final season of a truly great TV series. My wife and I both love this show, and always look forward to watching episodes together.
I hope that they really end the season (and series) with a bang. I hope they really have great episodes, with great writing, and great acting. I hope Tom Welling puts on the suit (and I hope it looks cool). I hope Clark Kent finally learns to fly, and also gets “trained” in the fortress with Jor El.
I also hope that the series finale episode is the best episode ever. I hope they tie everything together, and Clark Kent finally realizes his destiny as the Man of Steel.
In any event, the final season of Smallville is just around the corner, and I can’t wait!
Smallville Is Renewed for 10th Season–Show is Going Downhill Fast
I heard a few days ago on the news that the CW network has renewed Smallville for a 10th season. I was really surprised to hear that, as I thought the 9th would be the last season for sure. Apparently, Smallville has been getting excellent ratings this year, and that led to a decision to renew it for yet another season. 10 seasons is a HECK OF A LOT of seasons for a TV show, and I think it is safe to say Smallville has been an incredible success.
That being said, I have grown to dislike the show’s new direction. I will list my criticisms of the show below.
My Problems with Smallville As of Recent
I am an avid fan of Smallville, and I have watched every single episode. I mean, I used to be fanatical about this series! However, my enthusiasm has died down dramatically this season. Actually, it probably started mid-way last season. But here are my problems with the series (as of recent):
- Smallville Should Be Renamed: “GreenArrow-Ville“– Seriously, the show is about Superman (or at least, Clark Kent becoming Superman). Yet week after week I am seeing a significant amount of attention given to the Green Arrow. No offense to the guy who plays him, he does a decent job and everything, but Green Arrow is about as boring a superhero as I can imagine. So I really am so tired of the show spending so many episodes about the Green Arrow. Enough already! We get the point–A guy knows how to shoot arrows really really well. Can we get back to the point of the whole show…Clark/Superman?
- Smallville Should Be Renamed: “Other Superhero-Ville”–This expands on my first point, but Smallville is spending so much time on other superhero’s that it is almost boring watching it. I mean, it seems every other episode is about the Justice League, or a new superhero. Who cares? It would be great if they had 1 or 2 episodes about that per season. But every other episode is about yet another superhero (or the Green Arrow). Smallville used to be 90% about Clark Kent’s journey, and 10% Lex/Lana/bad guys, etc. Now, it is about 20% Clark’s journey, and 80% Green Arrow/Justice League/Zod/bad guys/etc.
- Zod’s Character is Completely Unbelievable–No offense to the guy playing Zod, but that is terrible casting. The guy who plays Zod simply isn’t believable as a “bad guy.” He just doesn’t fit that character, and it throws off the whole mojo of the show. Contrast that with Lex–Michael Rosenbaum did a phenomenal job and NAILED that character. I actually believed that Lex was like that in real life (manipulative, genius, evil, struggling with good vs evil)–that is how good he was. When I saw Michael’s personality in real life, I was blown away. He is a goofy cut-up. Yet he was able to understand his character and interpret Lex in an believable and unique way. Not so for Mr. Zod, and considering he is such a huge part of this story, it is harming the show.
- Superman is Now Officially Stupidman–I love Tom Welling, and I think he is the best Superman/Clark yet. However, I have grown impatient with Clark’s consistent “screw ups.” He let Doomsday kill Jimmy. He saves his worse enemy (Zod), (a guy who is going to take over the planet mind you) and gives him his powers in the process. He constantly does the most ignorant things, all in an effort to “save everyone-including those who want to kill mankind.” Well I am sorry, but this saving business is going way too far. Even God himself doesn’t save those who reject him, and yet are we to believe that Superman is better and more “holy” than God? Absurd. It comes off as a totally unbelievable act of ignorance when Clark does these things. So much so, that I now view Superman as an idiotic fool who can’t learn from his mistakes, and wants to save even the cruelest psycho-killer, all in the spirit of goodness. Get real. And stop ruining Superman/Clark.
- Lois & Clark Have ZERO Chemistry–I am sorry, but Lois and Clark have zero chemistry, and I actually hope they don’t end up together. Lana and Clark–now that was believable (especially in the first few seasons). I secretly found myself rooting for Clark to get with Lana back in the old seasons when he had a crush. But each time Lois and Clark are together, it just doesn’t feel right. I feel no chemistry. I feel no connection. I have difficulty seeing how a guy with Clark’s character (honest, dependable, modest, quiet) could be attracted to Lois’ character (obnoxious, rude, outspoken, etc.). What they should have done is hired Erika to play Lana, and Kristen to play Lois. Now THAT would have been great. But Lois is terribly miscast in my opinion. It didn’t affect the show when Clark didn’t date her, but now, it just doesn’t work. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want Lana to come back at this point (that storyline is dead). But she would have made a perfect Lois.
- Learn to Fly Already–Okay, I can totally understand why Clark didn’t fly in the other seasons. But I think it is high time (pun intended) that we see Clark learn to fly once and for all. Zod gets powers and flies immediately. Clark’s cousin, Kara, flies. Green Martian Guy flies. Everyone flies but Clark. I think it is well overdue at this point to give him wings.
- Martha Kent Still Exist? You gotta love how they give Green Arrow and other silly superheros all of the play time, but we hear virtually nothing on Martha Kent. It would be nice to see her, or at least hear Clark talk to her every once in a while. Oh well.
- No Intriguing Story Lines–Smallville used to have me hooked with story lines that kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn’t wait to tune in week after week, to find out what would happen. Not so now. It is the same boring stories week after week. There is no mystery. There is no excitement. There is no suspense. It seems the writers/directors/producers/whoever have forgotten how to do that. They used to build incredible story lines and wrap them up in an amazing way. Now, it is just dull. I don’t really care about anything going on. It is all just boring. I just feel like I am going through the motions each week as I tune in.
- Corny Outfits–The superhero outfits have gotten ridiculously fake/plastic looking. Like on the Justice League (or American League, or whatever it was). The magical ice wand thing looked like something I could pick up at Walmart. The dude with the helmet also looked like something from Walmart. Absolutely no realism whatsoever. The Green Arrow wears sunglasses at night. I am amazed that doesn’t harm his ability to shoot arrows… See what I mean? Just corny and unbelievable outfits/costumes. I do realize they may have limited budgets, but come on…
- Plot Holes Galore–The writers need to clean up these giant plot-holes they are leaving everywhere. The way they ditched Lana was just absurd. She now has Kryptonite in her so Clark can’t be with her? Well why couldn’t he have used one of those nifty red or blue rocks that makes his powers (and reaction to Kryptonite) go away? Or why couldn’t he have used the magical ring that makes him go back in time? Hmm. And week after week we still see plot holes large and small. I think it is time to clean up the writing for this show-because I imagine the serious fans are getting a bit frustrated at this point.
In Conclusion: Smallville Used to Be Great, Not So Much Now
As Clark finally discovered the mystery of the caves, and threw the stone to make the fortress, chills when down my spine. Now, I just watch week after week hoping to feel even the slightest bit of intrigue, suspense, or anything. Unfortunately, nothing.
Smallville seems to be getting excellent ratings. I have no idea why in all honesty. The reason I think the ratings have gone up is this: The old avid fans are tuning in expecting it to be the last season, even though they aren’t enjoying it like they used to. They want to see the finale. That is the only logical reason I can find. Either that, or the world has incredibly low standards for writing.
Sadly, I find myself looking more forward to shows like American Idol. Oh well. My only hope is that perhaps someone may see this who works there and take a hint and fix some of the stuff they keep screwing up. It probably won’t happen though. Smallville will probably die a slow and painful death next season. Oh well. It was great while it lasted.