The CNA exam is a tool that measures Nursing Assistants’ nursing skills. Attending school to become a CNA has its challenges. After completing the CNA program, it is necessary to take the licensing exam to become a CNA. Studying for the Certified Nursing Assistant exam may be difficult, but it is can be easy to pass with a few helpful tips.
What is the CNA Exam?
As stated above, the CNA exam is a tool that measures Nursing Assistants’ nursing skills. The CNA exam also goes by the name of Nurse Aide Assessment Examination. This exam is the final test of a Nursing Assistants’ skills. They must pass this exam in order to qualify for employment opportunities as CNAs. The exam tests the skills, knowledge, and ability levels of CNAs to ensure that they perform their tasks safely.
The National Council of State Boards of Nursing is the entity that developed the CNA evaluation program. The exam consists of a written or oral portion and a hands-on aspect of the exam. Nursing Assistants must successfully pass both portions of the examination in order to receive their licenses. In the event Nursing Assistants pass one section of the test and fail another, they are allowed to retake the section that they failed instead of retaking both exams.
Is the CNA Exam Hard?
The exam can be hard if Nursing Assistants do not have the knowledge and skills needed to pass the exam. The written or oral section of the exam may consist of approximately 70 questions, but the exact number of questions varies by state. Some Nursing Assistants may find the exam hard because they do not know the exact information to study for this section of the exam. Nursing Assistants who have a firm grasp of the content learned in their courses should do well on the written section of the exam.
The hands-on section consists of testing the Nursing Assistant’s skills in 5 of the 25 skill areas. Nursing Assistants may find this section very difficult because they must be competent in all 25 areas to do well on this area. Those who are only competent in 10 of the 25 areas may struggle to pass this section because the tester randomly selects the 5 skills. Studying all 25 skills may provide the best chance to pass the exam.
What Material is on the CNA Certified Nursing Assistant Exam?
All of the information that Nursing Assistants need to know to pass their licensing exams can be found in their course materials. Specific material that students should be familiar with for the oral or written section includes recording and measuring weight, respiration, blood pressure, radial pulse, and urinary output of patients in their care.
Nursing Assistants also need to have a firm grasp of certain concepts to pass the hands-on section of the exam. A few of the testing skills may include hand washing, giving modified baths, assisting with use of bedpans, recording and measuring urinary output, providing mouth cares, positioning clients, providing food care, and recording and counting the radial pulse of clients.
Tips on How to Study for the CNA Exam
There is no foolproof way to ensure a passing score on the CNA exam, but there are many things that Nursing Assistants can do to increase their chances of passing. Knowing how to study for the exam can be very beneficial to Nursing Assistants. Here are a few tips to help Nursing Assistants study for the CNA exam:
- Create a solid study plan before taking the exam. It may be beneficial to get a calendar and write down the materials to study before the exam. Creating time to study each day before taking the exam is very important.
- Use as many study materials as possible. Using online study materials and supplemental materials from courses to prepare for the exam is helpful. There is an abundance of study materials available. A great study guide to help nursing assistants pass the CNA exam is called “CNA Certified Nursing Assistant Exam Cram“. Here is what it looks like:
- Take practice exams. Practice exams can help Nursing Assistants prepare to take the real CNA exam.
- Create a study guide for the exam. Nursing Assistants may want to use the notes from their courses to create a personalized study guide to help them do well on the exam.
- Understand the test’s format. Nursing Assistants must know that the exam consists of an oral or written section and a hands-on section. They should also know the specific topics that they will be tested on in the hands-on section.
Studying for the CNA exam is very important to a Nursing Assistant’s career. They must pass this exam to receive their certification. The course materials and the other supplemental materials provide an excellent opportunity for Nursing Assistants to pass the CNA exam.