After making the decision to attend nursing school, most prospective nurses want to attend one of the top nursing schools in the country. Many future nursing students ask themselves “What is the best nursing school to attend?“. The best nursing schools provide graduates with the perfect opportunities to display their exceptional nursing schools for a chance to receive high paying jobs and increased marketability. Nursing school students need to understand certain things when on their quest to find the perfect nursing school to attend.
List of the Top 10 Nursing Schools to Attend
According to information taken from U.S. News & World Report, the top 10 nursing schools are as follows:
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Washington
- University of California-San Francisco
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- Duke University
- Oregon Health and Science University
- University of Pittsburgh
The following are an additional 20 school that are top ranking nursing schools, according to the U.S. New & World Report:
- Yale University
- University of Illinois-Chicago
- University of Iowa
- University of Maryland-Baltimore
- Case Western Reserve University
- Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis
- Rush University
- University of Colorado-Denver
- University of Virginia
- Vanderbilt University
- Arizona State University
- Boston college
- Columbia University
- Emory University
- New York University
- University of Alabama-Birmingham
- University of California-Los Angeles
- University of Kentucky
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- University of Texas Health Science Center-Houston
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Ohio State University
Pros and Cons of Attending a Top Nursing School
Students who want to attend a top nursing school should consider the following pros:
- Students receive increased marketability in the job market.
- Employers hire students from top nursing programs for their highest paying jobs.
- Students learn from some of the best professors in the nursing industry.
- Top ranked nursing schools usually have higher NCLEX scores.
- Top ranked nursing programs are generally highly accredited and decorated with various awards for their programs.
- They have a variety of nursing classes and specialty programs in which students can choose.
- Top nursing schools may have an abundance of resources that other nursing schools do not have to offer students.
Students who want to attend a top nursing school should consider the following cons:
- The tuition may be too expensive to afford without scholarships or other forms of financial assistance.
- It may require that students relocate to another state to attend a top nursing school.
- Students may have to get used to learning in larger nursing classes instead of smaller classes.
- Students have more competition when it comes to getting into the nursing program and landing a job after graduation.
Tips on How to Select a Nursing School
Nursing students must determine the specific criteria that they require in the nursing school that they want to attend. Here are a few helpful pointers that can help students select a nursing school to attend:
- Students should conduct online research. Researching schools helps students understand the requirements for the program. They should also check out the available resources for students.
- The tuitions and fees for the school must be considered. It is important to decide how much the nursing education will cost before making a decision.
- The accreditation status of the school is important. Non-accredited schools or those in jeopardy of losing accreditation can hard students’ chances of employment.
- Students should understand the academic and clinical requirements for the school. Students should make sure that they are able to fulfill all of the requirements to earn their diploma.
Choosing a good nursing school comes with many decisions. Attending top ranking nursing programs comes with a great deal of responsibility and hard work before graduating, but students can be proud of the end result.
Thinking about going to Nursing School?
Are you contemplating going to nursing school, or are you actually in nursing school right now? Nursing school can be challenging, especially if you do not know what to expect. Here is a great guide by S. L. Page BSN, RN called “How to Pass Nursing School“. This book gives you detailed information about how to pass nursing school from beginning to end. S.L. Page, the creator of this website, complied all the information students what to know about nursing school into one easy to read guide. She gives in depth information on how to succeed in nursing school.
S.L. Page graduated from nursing school with honors and passed the NCLEX-RN on her first try. In this eBook, she reveals the strategies she used to help her succeed.
Here is what the book looks like: